Do you want to waive those annoying baggage fees? How about skipping the checked baggage lines and breezing through the security lines without a stop and frisk? Or waiting by the luggage carousel for your checked luggage to unload from the plane? With Memorial Day Weekend behind us and the official start of summer vacation finally here, we want to talk about what to pack and how to pack it to maximize your luggage real estate.
Once you have your destination settled and you’ve booked your tickets, you’ll have an idea of what to pack, but the best thing to do when getting organized for a trip is to make a list of the things you will need. This will help you remember everything for your trip so you don’t overpack or forget your essentials. Most people in the US get a week’s vacation for the summer, so we are basing our packing guide on a 7-day trip.
Prepare the outfits you will wear based on your travel itinerary.
Have a nice dinner planned each night? Make sure you have enough outfits for that. Going to the beach for a few days while you’re away? Decide how many bathing suits you’ll need ahead of time.
Don’t waste time on your trip struggling to figure out what to wear. Our suggestion is to pack outfits with the option of mix and match. We recommend having 2 tops, 1 bottom, and 3 dresses.
The styles from our Collection 2 is full of easy to wear pieces that pack and travel well and make for great style versatility. The light and airy Lucent Blouse pairs well with any bottom you want to bring along for a day of sightseeing or museum browsing. A nice flowy dress like our Coquette Dress will take you out for a night of fine dining and dancing with a pair of sexy heels. The other great thing about the Coquette is that it steams out easily because it is all silk, making it a perfect piece for travel. Another great piece for dining out while you’re away is our simple Minimal Dress. Pair it with sandals or white leather sneakers and you are ready for almost anything. If dancing is your thing, our Amore Dress is elegant and sexy enough to get you in pretty much anywhere. Plus- the velvet fabric hides wrinkles.
If the beach is more your speed, our Pedantic Dress is versatile enough for you to use as a beach coverup and then pair with sandals or sneakers to take you up to the cafe. Check the weather of your destination to see if you might need a light jacket or cover up as temperatures do drop significantly from day to night in some locales.
Think about the small things you’ll need that will make your life easier.
Here is a quick checklist of things most people forget or don’t put a lot of thought about when packing which results in wasting your time spent on searching and buying duplicates of what you already have.
- Hairbrush, hair ties, and hairpins
- Portable power packs, you’ll need this more than the charging cables if you love snapping pictures and videos
- Toothbrush and toothpaste. While the hotels will provide quality shampoo, conditioners, and soap, the same cannot be said about the toothbrush and toothpaste they will offer you should you forget yours.
- Don’t forget your swimsuits. The ones you buy on vacation might be overpriced at resort destinations or fall apart and won’t fit properly if you buy from street vendors. Pack at least two swimsuits if you are going to a beach destination.
Remember the important things.
Here are the two important items most people don’t place enough importance on:
- The first one is shoes. There are 3 pairs of shoes to consider when packing.
- The first pair of shoes you need to think about is the pair you wear while traveling to your destination. They need to be comfortable enough for you to wear for the duration of your flight, but they also need to be easy for you to slip on and off through airport security if you want to zip through the lines.
- The second pair is a dressy pair of heels or sandals for going out to dinner or other events
- The last pair can be sneakers or beach sandals if you going to a beach locale. Something cute and casual that you can mix and match with many outfits.
- The second is undergarments. Most often what you wear under your outfits are an afterthought when packing for vacation. When it comes to undergarments, I like to apply the 2 panties to 1 bra ratio if you are planning to pack swimsuits and 3 panties to 1 bra if you aren’t packing swimsuits. They should coordinate with your outfits. You do not want bright undergarments showing through your white dresses or have bra straps showing with your dress. Always pack an extra pair of panties because you just never know! Also, if you’re not sure between two bras, pack both. More times than not- it will be the other bra you didn’t take with you that you’ll need. You can learn more about underpinnings in our post about them.
Jody’s Travel Tips:
Are you traveling anywhere this summer? We’d love to know what travel hacks work best for you and what fabulous destinations you’re off to! Let us know in the comments below. Safe travels!